Key Stage 1 "Significant Individuals"
lesson plans and ideas
LESSON 6: Mary Seacole, Florence Nightingale and Edith Cavell
KEY STAGE 1 SCIENCE NATIONAL CURRICULUM OBJECTIVES:
• The lives of significant individuals in the past who have contributed to national and international achievements. Some should be used to compare aspects of life in different periods [for example, Elizabeth I and Queen Victoria, Christopher Columbus and Neil Armstrong, William Caxton and Tim Berners-Lee, Pieter Bruegel the Elder and
LS Lowry, Rosa Parks and Emily Davison, Mary Seacole and/or Florence Nightingale and Edith Cavell
• Significant historical events
PUPILS WILL LEARN ..
About the lives of Mary Seacole, Florence Nightingale and Edith Cavell
RESOURCES - DOWNLOAD HERE
• Powerpoint for both people
• Written profiles of Mary Seacole, Florence Nightingale and Edith Cavell
• Wordsearch of Mary Seacole, Florence Nightingale and Edith Cavell
Diary entries for each person at key moments in their life / letters from each person / story from the point of view of someone watching key moments in their lives / small non-fiction fact cards (similar to enclosed profiles) / letters from soldiers expressing gratitude / a letter from Queen Victoria to Mary Seacole or Florence Nightingale
• ROLE-PLAY AREA SUGGESTIONS:
A hospital / hospital ship / hospital tent
Maths based on years served / soldier’s lives saved etc
• ART / DT:
draw or paint portraits / design a nursing poster / make small hospital tents from paper and decorate with red crosses / make a lego model of hospital with places to wash and beds for soldiers etc.
Find all the locations on a world map / look at (simplified version) of why the warring countries in each conflict were fighting
Learn about the human body and (simplified) details of guarding against
infections (a great opportunity to learn how to wash hands properly!)