Key Stage 1 "Significant Individuals"
lesson plans and ideas
LESSON 4: Vincent Van Gogh and LS Lowry.
KEY STAGE 1 SCIENCE NATIONAL CURRICULUM OBJECTIVES:
• The lives of significant individuals in the past who have contributed to national and international achievements. Some should be used to compare aspects of life in different periods [for example, Elizabeth I and Queen Victoria, Christopher Columbus and Neil Armstrong, William Caxton and Tim Berners-Lee, Pieter Bruegel the Elder and
LS Lowry, Rosa Parks and Emily Davison, Mary Seacole and/or Florence Nightingale and Edith Cavell
• Significant historical events
PUPILS WILL LEARN ..
About the lives of Vincent Van Gogh and LS Lowry
RESOURCES - DOWNLOAD HERE
• Powerpoint for both people
• Written profiles of Vincent Van Gogh and LS Lowry
• Wordsearch of Vincent Van Gogh and LS Lowry
Diary entries for both persons at key moments in their life / letters from each person / story from the point of view of someone watching key moments in their lives / small non-fiction fact cards (similar to enclosed profiles) / written description of one of their paintings
• ROLE-PLAY AREA SUGGESTIONS:
Artist’s studio / sketching area / art area in general / one of Lowry’s streets / Van Gogh’s room
Maths based on how many paintings, years each artist painted for / how much they are worth
• ART / DT:
They’re artists! An excellent opportunity to paint, draw, make art based on their paintings / make a Lowry painting in pipe cleaners
Look at where they both lived / compare the two rural and urban landscapes of the time