""Just wanted to say how brilliant the Spaceman workshop was! Our children had a fantastic day and thoroughly enjoyed your visit. Hoping to book again next year!"
Lisa, Y1 teacher, Halifax
REPLICA APOLLO SPACESUIT WORKSHOP FOR PRIMARY SCHOOLS
The Key Stage One version of our workshop is a sure way to inspire your year 1 and year 2 pupils about space exploration in a fun and imaginative way.
Delivered in role as Mr B the spaceman looking for his spaceship along with his companion ‘Spaceted’, it also involves lots of real science such as an explanation of gravity, rockets, the moon landings and Neil Armstrong.
The workshop is loads of fun as well as being a perfect match for your KS1 space topic, whether you are teaching to the new ‘significant individuals’ history strand of the 2014 National Curriculum, featuring Neil Armstrong as a significant explorer (FREE full topic planning and resources here), or simply as a one-off inspiring experience for your creative curriculum space topic.
click any image on the page to enlarge
QUICK SUMMARY OF KS1 VERSION
A typical KS1 space workshop lasts around an hour and a quarter and involves Mr B coming into class in the spacesuit and visiting the pupils to talk about space travel, what it is like to be an astronaut and the story of how he rescued his trusty space travel companion, Spaceted, from the moon.
This is then followed by a picture session wearing the helmet and holding spaceted, finishing with a (very safe) ‘stomp-rocket’ session, when pupils jump on an air powered rocket launcher to launch foam rockets across the room in a thrilling finale.
- It is an imaginitive experience, delivered in role as a pretend spaceman, giving you plenty of opportunities for follow on writing, drama and artwork
- It involves lots of real science, relating not only to space in general but also Neil Armstrong and the ‘significant individuals’ scheme of work (e.g. for older y2, with FREE planning and resources here)
- Lasts around an hour and a quarter
- For two or more classes it is delivered altogether for a slightly longer session
- For a single class, you can combine it with a materials session after break (not delivered in the spacesuit)
MEET A (PRETEND :) SPACEMAN, LEARN ABOUT GRAVITY BY RESCUING SPACETED AND BLAST OFF ROCKETS IN THIS BRILLIANTLY FUN SPACE WORKSHOP